Welcome to our website !

Thai Festival of Loy Kratong

By November 29, 2012 , , , , , , ,



Happy Loy Kratong everyone! Loy Kratong is the Thai festival of giving thanks (a Thai “Thanksgiving”, you could say!) and of making wishes for the year ahead. The most beloved part of the festival is the floating of “kratongs”, which are small lotus-shaped receptacles made of banana leaves and flowers, into a pond or river.  Per tradition, people pray to the water goddess as they light the candles and incense on the kratong, asking to have their troubles float away and to be blessed with good luck. As the night goes on, rivers and ponds across Thailand are illuminated with small candle-lit floats, making this easily one of the most beautiful Thai festivals!

While growing up in Bangkok, I participated in this festival every year by crafting kratongs in art class and releasing them into a nearby pond with family and friends. Since moving to the US, I haven’t been able to partake in these traditions…until today! After an 8-year gap, my annual trip to Thailand has coincided with this festival and has given me the chance to celebrate it once again! While a lot has changed in the last 8 years, one thing that remains the same is my excitement over festivals and traditions. I always turn into a kid when I get a chance to relive my childhood memories like this! Here’s to hoping that all our readers are blessed with good luck for the year ahead!

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Hi! Yes, i am staying warm and cozy and very happy, its beautiful here!You have fun in Thailand:)

    Love,
    Shubhi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine what fun it must be celebrating this festival with family! shruti is looking so cute in the pics :)
    btw, I have nominated your blog for the Lovely Blog award! Check the award details here - http://thezingofmylife.blogspot.com/2012/12/blogger-awards.html
    congrats!
    ~ashy
    http://thezingofmylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments! And thank you Ashy for nominating us!! How fun, will be replying with 7 facts about myself soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your comments. If you enjoy reading Urban Mantra, please follow me on Instagram and Facebook as well. Thanks!