Welcome to our website !

Squat & Plank Challenge Recap

By March 12, 2014 , , , , , , , ,

Thirty days of putting my body through a squat and plank challenge came to an end just a few days ago. On the last day of the challenge, as I completed the last of the 250 squats I was supposed to do, I couldn't help but let out a loud victory whoop!

In an earlier post, I had talked about taking on a 30-day squat and plank challenge as a way to get back in shape post-pregnancy (see post here). I saw it as a time-effective way for busy people to stay active and fit. The challenge was particularly appealing to me as a mother of a 5-month old who often struggles to make time for exercise. A workout that targets multiple muscle groups, such as quads, hamstrings, abs, and butt, in one shot? Count me in, I said! I can do this while the baby naps!

Did I make it through the month? Was the challenge worth doing? Yes to both. In terms of the level of difficulty, the workout challenge wasn't that tough. It simply required consistency and dedication in sticking with it. It would have been very easy to give up half way through, but I hate quitting. I was determined to complete the full 30 days and complete I did!

Were there any days I skipped or got lazy? Truth be told, there was one day I let myself down. On the third last day when I was supposed to do 230 squats, I only got to 120. Shhh, don't tell anyone :)

The deets? Most days, I incorporated the squats and planks into a larger workout of about 30-40 minutes that included running, weight-lifting, and ab exercises (e.g., crunches). Other days, I would only do the squats and hold the plank pose (but I would try to go for long walks with my baby in a stroller! Sometimes I did up to 2 hours of walking over the course of the day and it seriously helped as a fat-burning exercise). In both scenarios, the challenge worked to raise my heart rate and tone my legs. While there are no visible differences in how my legs look, I can honestly say that my legs feel firmer and stronger. An added bonus? I lost about 1.5 kilos (about 3-4 lbs) this past month with all the combined exercises. It may not sound like much but hey, every bit counts. :)

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Hats off Richa...u r truly inspirational.
    I am motivating myself to take up this challenge, post mu USA trip, as I have returned with oodles of cheesy weight..god knows how i overindulged in food.
    Lets see when that happens.

    Aditi
    So-Saree
    www.sosaree.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yes - I can understand. Eating in the USA is sinfully good but you have to pay the price for it. But believe me, if I can motivate myself to work out, I know you can to!!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your comments. If you enjoy reading Urban Mantra, please follow me on Instagram and Facebook as well. Thanks!