In My City: Bangkok
Today’s “In My City” post features Urban Mantra’s hometown of Bangkok!
Just like they say that the French possess an innate fashion sense, I find the Thais to be a generally well-dressed lot. They take great care in their appearance. The average person on the street is neatly dressed with a basic sense of style, Indeed, I would describe the Thai dressing sensibility as smart and well put-together. To emulate that style, take what I’m wearing here. A pastel pink top and a black & white striped skirt (with pockets!) paired with black heels and a hot pink bag. Somewhat matchy-matchy but not overdone. Hopefully smart and put-together? The top was purchased at Siam and the skirt at Terminal 21 (one of my favorite places to shop in Bangkok and described in greater detail in an older post).
|Top from Siam, skirt from Terminal 21, shoes from Banana Republic,|
necklace from J. Crew, Lauren by Ralph Lauren Newbury tote
- MBK is an old favorite for budget-friendly apparel (clothes, shoes, purses, makeup), accessories, and souvenirs
- Terminal 21 is located right in the city center and is a great place to buy trendy clothes and accessories. You can spend a whole afternoon there, wandering through the little stores and exploring what they have to offer. I also love the kitchy airport theme they have going on at this mall. Each floor is a different city and is designed accordingly. It’s actually quite fun!
- Are you the type of person who likes to load up on things if you like something? Then Platinum Mall is the place for you. Here, prices of goods are cheaper if you buy in threes vs just one. For example, if you are looking to buy gifts for a few friends, or a bunch of jewelry, or perhaps different colors of nail polish, then this is a great place to come!
- Chatuchak is a huge street market open only on weekends but boy, can you find great stuff here! You can find everything under the sun here in terms of clothes, shoes, bags, scarves, jewelry, etc. But personally, I love, love, love coming here for the unique home decor items and local Thai handicrafts sold at a much lower price point compared with anywhere else. This outdoor market is shaded but still, be mentally prepared to deal with the discomfort of the heat!
- If shopping for high end designer goods or the recognizable name brand stores (eg, Zara, Mango, Forever 21, etc), then head on over to Emporium, Central, or Siam Paragon
- For street shopping for clothes by up and coming local designers, Siam Square is the place for you. Be sure to bargain!