Welcome to our website !

Green Corridor

By May 24, 2015 , , , , , , , , , ,

People say Singapore is a "little red dot" with only a limited number of things to do, that it eventually gets stifling and mundane if you live here long enough. As I continue my exploration of this island country, I'm constantly surprised by the interesting places I discover. I suppose I'll reach a point where I've exhausted all the places to visit and things to do in Singapore. But I don't anticipate that happening anytime soon.

Last weekend, I made a jaunt to the Green Corridor, a heritage nature trail that connects several green spaces along a 24-km stretch of land. The lush grassland offers a refreshing change from the downtown cityscapes. Adding to the sense of charm and mystery is the presence of an old abandoned railroad (Bukit Timah Railway). I found the Green Corridor intriguing from both the historical and recreational perspective. Historically speaking, the railroad was first built in the 1900s and connected Singapore and Malaysia until it was decommissioned in 2011. Although it has only been a few years since the cast iron railway was silenced for good, nature has already reclaimed it as her own. From a recreation point of view, the Green Corridor is waiting to be explored by hikers, bikers, runners, and casual strollers! Depending on how ambitious you're feeling, there are routes of various distances along this green stretch. As a first-timer, you could start from the railway bridge and make your way over to Holland Village. Yup, a respectable walking distance of 1 mile (1.6 km), which would end with food & drinks (map here). Now, doesn't that sound like a nice weekend activity?
Adventures await! (Bukit Timah railway track)
Top: H&M | Skirt: Bangkok | Earrings: Crazy&Co | Purselet: India

Photography credit goes to Karnan who captured lovely pictures of the railway and surrounding area. You can visit his website as www.luminosity-pictures.tumblr.com.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I always love to hear your comments. If you enjoy reading Urban Mantra, please follow me on Instagram and Facebook as well. Thanks!