Welcome to our website !

Sunday Stroll in Tiong Bahru

By September 19, 2016 , , , ,

Mention Tiong Bahru to an older Singaporean and most would find this downtown neighborhood synonymous for its historical relevance to times dating back to the Japanese occupation during World War I and also as one of the oldest residential areas in Singapore. Mention Tiong Bahru to a younger local and what you might hear is that it's one of the coolest neighborhoods in town with hipster coffee joints and indie bookstores. What I love about Tiong Bahru is that it's a refreshing confluence of new and old. Alongside the modern stores that have popped up in this area, you'll find old shophouses with colorful doors and perhaps even an elderly auntie peeking out through the window. In the same neighborhood, the trendy yoga studio and cozy brunch spots coexist with the local market and hawker centers with seating spilling into the sidewalk. There's a laidback charm to this place you can't deny.

This past Sunday, we decided to go for brunch at Tiong Bahru. There are about 3-4 restaurants on Yong Siak Road alone, all of which are good! I particularly recommend Open Door Policy and 40 Hands. Plain Vanilla was a delicious-looking bakery I happened to walk by and made a mental note to visit next time. After brunch, I always like to browse through the bookstores on that street. There is one bookstore for grown-ups (Books Actually) and one for kids (Woods in the Books), both of which are just so cute that I could get absolutely lost in them forever! Once I'm able to pry myself away from the books, then I usually have to repeat the same for my son. Oh, he's a book lover alright!

If you enjoy exploring, there are even murals painted by local artists Yip Yew Chong depicting idyllic times from the artists' childhood days in the Tiong Bahru estate. These murals are utterly charming in their depiction of how things used to be in the olden days - street vendors selling laksa,  or someone's old-fashioned living room with rattan chairs and an old television box set. There are also animal murals by another artist Earnest Goh, which my son loved seeing and posing in front of (see below!). All in all, a lazy Sunday brunch and stroll through Tiong Bahru is highly recommended!
Tassle off-shoulder top: Morning Lavender | Jeans: Gap | Sandals: Express | Purse: Coach | Sunglasses: Cole Haan | Neclace: Stained glass locket from Venice (purchased years ago) 
Mural by Yip Yew Chong
Mural by Earnest Goh

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I absolutely loved this post. The outfit, the styling, the location, you and Baby K....everything is just perfect!
    Whenever I come to Singapore, I am going to rely on ur blog posts for sightseeing.

    Aditi
    www.sosaree.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Aditi! When you come to Singapore, you will also have to meet me! lol...:) I will take you around! :)

      Delete

I always love to hear your comments. If you enjoy reading Urban Mantra, please follow me on Instagram and Facebook as well. Thanks!