Welcome to our website !

Five Tips for Time Management as a Working Parent

By April 27, 2021 , , , , , ,


Balancing work and parenthood is challenging and at times, really overwhelming. But time management and learning how to juggle all the different facets of your life is key! As a working professional, a mom to 2 boys, and an active blogger, I often get asked how I “do it all and make it look so easy”. Be under no illusion - it’s NOT easy and I DON'T do it all. Have you heard of the saying of how serene a duck looks on the surface, but underneath he's paddling like hell? Yeah, that’s me.

I’m certainly no expert but would humbly like to share some practices which have been effective for me in better balancing my life goals and ambitions.

1. Ask yourself what you want in life and focus your energies accordingly.

Are you looking to build a high-profile career or develop your own business? Or are you looking for a steady job that keeps you satisfied, pays the bills, and gives you balance in life? If you don’t know the answer, then sort that out first. Because you need that clarity on a meta-level to decide where you want to focus your energies on and how you tackle the different facets of your life (be it kids, a career, or non-professional endeavours).

Example: Upon self-inflection several years ago, I realized I wanted a balanced lifestyle with regards to my job, family, and personal pursuits. I sought a career path that gives me meaning and purpose without necessarily the highest-ranking positions. I wanted to be a hands-on Mom to my kids. I wanted space to pursue my own passion projects (i.e., blog/Instagram). So with that clarity, I divide my life roughly into the following framework: 40% career, 40% family & kids, 20% personal endeavours. This bigger picture helps me figure out where to channel my time and efforts. 

2. Be flexible and adjust your priorities as needed.

Priorities are not static. No single week is the same in terms of what's on your plate. A successful habit I have had for years is making a planned "intentions and to-do list" at the start of the week (Sunday night or Monday morning). I write down what needs to be done according to the different buckets in my life (work deliverables, family stuff, social media content creation, social obligations, etc) and rank them in order of importance for that week. Doing this gives me a sense of intentionality and clarity on how to manage my time before the week kicks in. 

At certain times, work will reign supreme because there’s a major deadline coming up and everything else takes a backstep. Other times, I will be able to place more time and attention with my children. Be flexible and not guilty in knowing that priorities do shuffle around. 

3. Create a strong support(ive) system.

It takes a village so don’t try to do it all on your own. Between my husband, a reliable helper, trusty friends, and a good school, I ensure that my kids are well-taken care of, happy, and well-adjusted. On the career front, I place strong importance on jobs which allow flexibility and are supportive of working mothers and their schedules - this makes a BIG difference in maintaining work-life balance!

4. Be efficient & work smart!

One thing I know I'm good at is my ability to get sh*t done. I achieve that by being disciplined and efficient across all areas of my life. How?
  • Work smart: I calculate the areas of my life where I need to work hard versus work smart. For example, I don’t compromise on my kid’s learning but I let it go if they didn’t eat the most healthy meal every single day of the week (for some, that priority may be flipped). At work, I will dedicate much more time for a big report with high visibility and impact but for a lower priority project, I would put in just enough effort to keep the ball rolling but not agonize over every small aspect. Know when to give your 80% versus your 110%.
  • Goes without saying, stay on top of things with lists or online apps that help you create efficiencies and organization in your busy life! There are tons out there and find what works for you :)
  • On the home front, I try to create efficiencies in small ways so that the household can run smoothly: weekly meal planning, online grocery shopping at the start of a new week, outsourcing housework if needed with hired help, ordering in meals on certain days to relieve cooking fatigue, and having the kids clean up after themselves. 
5. Lay boundaries to make space for family or personal life.

We all know that work can easily spill over our personal life if we don't lay clear boundaries. So here are two tips that I apply:
  • Both I and my husband block out our work calendars for certain times of the day when we want to be with the kids. That way, no one schedules work meetings and people learn to be more respectful of your time.
  • Secondly, let’s get better at saying NO in the workplace or acknowledging when we need more resources and support. By having the courage to say NO or conversely, ask for help, we are setting ourselves up for a more manageable lifestyle.
If you found this post helpful, do let me know! I would also love to hear your thoughts on how you balance work and life. 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. This is such an insightful post! Agree with you on the first point; having that clarity gives so much more perspective on how we can have a work-life balance that aligns with our goals and priorities. Our personal and professional lives have blended into each other over the past year due to the pandemic and having a strong support system is so important for our emotional well-being which usually takes a back burner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post Richa...you really can't have it all, and you really can't do it all. Prioritising is definitely the key. You are my forever inspiration.

    Aditi
    www.sosaree.in

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your comments. If you enjoy reading Urban Mantra, please follow me on Instagram and Facebook as well. Thanks!