Welcome to our website !

Fit in the City: Climb Stairs

By January 06, 2013 , , , , ,



Source

Happy New Year everyone! It’s a brand new year - a time to wipe the slate clean and start fresh, to face new challenges and achieve new goals. Speaking of goals and challenges, I will be taking part in the “Empire State Building Run-Up” next month, which will truly push my physical fitness to new limits. It’s a race from the lobby of the Empire State Building up to the top deck. That means running up 86 flights of stairs (or over 1500 steps)! The fastest person has done it in 10 minutes, seven years in a row. Any normal person would balk at the thought of taking part in it. Glutton for punishment that I am, I was intrigued by this challenge ever since I read about it and wanted to take part in it. Through some stroke of fortune (or misfortune?), I actually got in through the random lottery system after I registered for the February 6, 2013 race.  The acute reality of what I signed up for is beginning to settle in. Holy freakin’ hell, I actually paid money to do this thing?  How will I train for it? How will I prepare myself so I can live to tell that I climbed 86 stories of the Empire State Building? 

Luckily, I have a game plan. I’ll just take the elevator up to the top of the Empire State Building and no one will be the wiser. Okay, I lied. I have actually formed a fitness regimen that will involve working out 5 days a week with a focus on building lower body strength. Here’s how:

.      1. Climb staircases, and lots of it: Starting Jan 1, I have taken to climbing up to my 21st floor apartment instead of taking the elevator. For that matter, I am taking the stairs anywhere I go now. Yessiree, no elevator or escalator for this girl!

2. Run or bike uphill: No hill, slope, or incline in the city is safe from my thundering thighs!

3. Use a stairmaster or run the treadmill on an incline: Bring it!

These exercises will be supplemented with core training, weights, and the amazing help of my Warrior Fitness Bootcamp.  If that doesn’t give me quads of steel by the time the race rolls around, I don’t know what will. One day of yoga to stretch out the body and one rest day should round out this fitness regimen. Now to see if I can actually stick to this ambitious plan!

I’m sure many of us have formed new year resolutions to eat better and get more fit. You don’t have to take part in an Empire State Building Run-Up but you can certainly incorporate stair climbing activity into your daily routine. Stair climbing has proven health benefits – studies show that incorporating even short bouts of stair climbing exercises throughout the day can significantly improve your health and lower cardiovascular risks. In addition, stair climbing is a low-impact exercise which helps with weight loss. So when given a choice next time, ditch the elevator and embrace the staircase as your new friend!

Follow Urban Mantra on bloglovin', twitter, or instagram!   

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I too have started climbing stairs rather than using the elevator. This workout actually works the best for the lower body...
    U have a wonderful blog.

    Shivali of:
    http://platinumdivinity.blogspot.in/

    Follow each other???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shivali, thanks for visiting our blog and for your comments. Going to check out your blog now! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Richa....this has been quite inspiring...have started climbing stairs at least once a day!

    Keep going...and good luck for your Empire State run-up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Empire State Building Run-Up challenge sounds interesting..all the very best with the prep!
    ~ashy
    thezingofmylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even climbing the staircase in your workplace can help big time when it comes to shedding off those extra pounds. Thank you so much for blogging about how climbing the stairs can make a lot of difference in weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to Haidilao Singapore, where we redefine the art of hot pot dining. Every visit explores flavors and shared moments in a world where premium ingredients meet exceptional hospitality. At Haidilao, we are dedicated to elevating your hot pot experience, offering a culinary journey that transcends the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your comments. If you enjoy reading Urban Mantra, please follow me on Instagram and Facebook as well. Thanks!