The End of the Shopping Ban
|Top right: Cold weather, brr! Clockwise: Delicious Greek yogurt from Pylos; Learning bharatnatyam (via); Getting ready for the Empire State Building Run-Up; Watching Cinderella on Broadway; Spicy and tangy papaya salad from SriPraPhai|
Well folks…I can’t quite believe it but my 2-month shopping ban is over. Yes, 59 days of avoiding frivolous purchases, mostly staying away from my favorite stores, and willing myself to look the other way when I saw bloggers wearing cute outfits that made me want to run out and buy the same thing! (I know, I know…#FirstWorldProblems)
So how did it go? Surprisingly, it wasn’t hard. I stuck to the shopping ban tips that I created for myself (as shared here), and I did all sorts of other shenanigans. So much so that I barely had time to think about this shopping ban. Here’s a quick recap of the past 2 months and how I’ve been saving money and doing better things with my time!
- I got creative with my closet…as you can see here and here.
- I tried new places to eat…One of my recent discoveries is a Thai restaurant called SriPhraPhai in Queens. It was highly recommended by some Thai friends, and my recent trip there didn’t disappoint. Coming from Thailand, I can probably say that this place has one of the most authentic Thai food I’ve had in a long time. If you ever make your way there, try the papaya salad and the tom yam soup. Another great brunch spot I tried was Pylos - their Greek yogurt there is the bomb!
- I complained about the cold…like, a lot. To my sister, my husband, my friends, and anybody who’d listen.
- I took part in the Empire State Building Run-Up…You’ve already heard me go on about this already here, but suffice it to say that this was definitely one of my biggest achievements of the year!
- I started new dance classes…It’s never too late to start something new, right? Bharatnatyam is a beautiful form of classical Indian dance and one that requires great discipline. I had taken classes as a teenager but, unfortunately, had never completed the full required training. I decided that now was as good a time as any to go back to it and start anew! It’s definitely been challenging but fun!
- I threw a badass Oscar Party…Rumor has it that Bradley Cooper and Ben Affleck crashed our party :)
- I attended a Broadway musical…Why not add a touch of fantasy in our lives? Cinderella on Broadway brought a childhood fairytale to life in a beautiful way. Definitely a must-watch (probably more so for us girls than boys!)
- I did a lot more reading…I don’t read as often as I would like but I’m working on it. There are several books on my iPad that I’m trying to make time for. Currently I’m reading Leo Tolstoy’s Anna Karenina.
- I attended random NYC events…about a month back, I had the (mis)fortune of seeing people without pants in the Annual No Pants Subway Ride. Read about that here!
- I found the answer to world peace…Okay, not really…