Welcome to our website !

Fashion Journey: The Quiet Year 2014

By May 19, 2020 , ,

Hi! If you're just joining in now, I'm doing a series of posts this week looking back at my fashion journey from the time I started my blog in 2012. Yes, I've been blogging for over 8 years, can you believe it? Over the years, I learned and picked up styling ideas, tips, and tons of inspo along the way. I thought it would be fun to share my looks from the past.

Today, we are talking about 2014, which I call the "Quiet Year" because the blog was mostly dormant. This was the year we made an unplanned move back to Asia after 16 years of living in the US. And so, after about 2.5 years of blogging about fashion, travel, and other lifestyle related things, I decided to take a break. I wanted to focus on my baby and my postpartum recovery, the new move and settling in, and being with my family. So blogging and Instagram not only took a backseat, it was put on hold with no definite plans to come back.

But towards the middle of the year, I started to post again. I missed having something I did just for me. I missed having a creative outlet. So there was a slow but gradual comeback.

Here’s a look back. You'll notice that in all the pics, I'm either wearing a black/white combo or some bright color combo. No in-betweens! 

Feb 2014: This is actually a dress I purchased from Promod. I was about 5 months postpartum and had shed some weight. So this was my first outfit purchase after a long time. I still like this look, it's classy and elegant.
March 2014: I paired this Ritu Kumar top with this pleated skirt I purchased from a store in Bangkok. I think this was probably my first pleated skirt and since then, I've never looked back! You'll find TONS of pleated skirt looks on my Instagram page! I loved how I mixed the combo of green and blue here. I'm wearing a bib necklace from Stella & Dot, a US-based jewelry brand which I love for its statement jewelry. This piece was expensive and more than I typically spent on jewelry at that time but I took the plunge and got it anyway! It's still one of my favorite statement pieces from my collection.

April 2014: Clearly I was beginning to experiment more with bright color combinations. I paired this floral pencil skirt with a blue top and a pink Ralph Lauren bag. I was playing off the pink and blue colors in the skirt. I probably would have opted for nude heels now rather than these red ones, which I find distracting from the overall color scheme. What do you think? 

Dec 2014 - Taken in Hawaii, this pic is from our first trip as a couple without Krishnav! I had purchased this maxi dress from Target just before I had moved out of the US the year prior. And believe it or not, I still own this dress. It's loose and flowy, so even after 2 babies I can manage to fit into it! :)

My fashion tips:
- Black and white is a classic combo. Can't go wrong with that!
- Trying experimenting with colors but keep one or two colors as the dominant one in the whole look. Adding in too many bright colors can look distracting.


Fashion Journey Series:
The Year of Discovery 2012
The Year of Change 2013

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I always love to hear your comments. If you enjoy reading Urban Mantra, please follow me on Instagram and Facebook as well. Thanks!